Saturday, June 15, 2013

"SUMMER, MICRO & KATHMANDU"

I usually don't travel by public vehicles by choice. I own a scooter, and go vroom vroom but unfortunately it’s a rest day for my scooter. What I hate the most of all is travelling in said "MICRO BUS" in hot summer's day. Scrap hate. I LOATHE!!!!

In an ideal world, a micro would be comfortable enough with 15 passenger. Air-conditioning would be blasting and all of those who are travelling would have a smile plastered on their faces.... But  NOOOOo !!!! Only in Nepal, at least 25 people are crammed into that tiny space and doesn’t even include those are standing. People act like they are in rush .... That they HAVE to board that vehicle. I let them who badly need to reach their destination get in first and settle for the seat that is close to the door.

My journey started from Gaushala. I got the window seat as I love to look out while traveling. that is the only thing I can do to refrain myself from jumping up and dancing NOT to 'Simple simple kanchi ko dimple" the driver plays oh so loud, which i also find shameless to singing along to. My ride was usually pleasant except for the occasional bumps and jerks. It’s the micro i have the issue with. The baneshwor route to be precise   From gaushala to new baneshwor it takes approximately 15 mins but ohh boy, it felt like an hour. Along the way it stops one too many times. "baneshwor ma ta jhari halchu ni" bereates the "khalashi" bhai to my complaints. He’s in tattered clothes and yet sports slick Ray bUn aviators. His bad DIY bleached hair is tied in a tiniest pony tail and the neck of his needed a good scrubbing.

Since I am sitting near to the door. Someone's underarm's right in front of my nose and that person has obviously never heard the name of deodorant. I tried to be polite so I didn't covered my nose. The door is closed. it’s so hot and the window aren't opened because "Uff kathmandu ko dhulo". I hold my breath until I succumb to my need to breath. The first whiff of my air I take was the smell of the underarm intermingled with a frat. Imagine a mutton curry left standing under the stifling sun for 3 days would smell like. Mix that with the most awful body odor you have ever came across. My stomach does somersaults and backhand springs. Nausea starts to kick in. my head feels light and before I throw up the khalashi bhai saves my day "naya baneshowr jharney koi chha?" mustering all the energy I can, I muttered "Chha"


It’s not over yet.. I handed him the fare. The "khalashi" bhai shouts that I gave him a rupee less. I shouted back I do not have 1 rupee. He shouted back " herda kheri dhani bau ko chooro. goji ma ek rupaiya ni nahuney" Touché !!!! I meekly shake my head and dash across the road passanger staring and pointing at me.


Oh the worse has yet to come... SUMMER has just begun

3 comments:

सिटी न :ख – A NEPALESE CELEBRATION OF “RAIN BABY”

सिटी न :ख – A NEPALESE CELEBRATION OF “RAIN BABY”